Wednesday, March 20, 2013

My husband thinks I'm CRAZY but........

My husband thinks I'm crazy but I know (and I do enjoy) planning future trips saves MONEY and SANITY! The off the cuff trips are lots of fun too and I have to say some of my best experience have been without any plan at all...but I do so enjoy the planning of one that it has become a long process that sometimes starts a year before the trip actually happens. Our Disney trip in 2008 was one such year plan, and I honestly can say we did not miss a beat with this plan and with such great foresight we didn't come home BROKE. Anyhoot! For the past three years we have been camping at some Jellystone camping resort and as summer approaches; although if you look out my front door right now you would NEVER guess it is the first day of Spring, I knew I needed to start looking into a camp trip. There are several Jellystone camp resorts in NY as well as in the surrounding states. I have big plans to hit the one outside of Williamsburg someday to get a little history and perhaps Bushgardens, but since the big trip this year will be in Maine, I was looking a little closer. The boys so enjoyed last years trip immedicately they wanted to go back. I am not opposed to retrun trips, but I am also big on NEW adventures so I began by looking for somthing simular, but close. North Java NY. Close to Rochester, Buffalo, Niagara Falls, and Letchworth State Park. Pleanty of opportunities for day trips and there is always lots to do at the campsites. Thinking budget I always consider the pros and cons of off season camping. It may be cheeper to camp off season, but its also often colder and many of the seasonal activities are closed, ie the Waterpark. Taking that into consideration as well as time with all of the other things going on in our life I decided that Memorial Day weekend was perfect. Sites and all activities including the waterpark is $60- per night. 3x60=$180-. And I am thinking of incorporating a day trip to Niagara Falls. The Niagara passport for all activities is $33- for adults and $26- kids. I have been to Niagara Falls several times and we actually took a family trip to Canada/Toronto area in 2005 before the need of a passport into the country, but my step son has never been and my little guy was only three so what an opportunity to enjoy one of the States most popular parks. I looked into the NY State Empirepass (Admission to all State Parks) and decided $65- for a year unlimited admission was worth it. Couldn't have been more thrilled to find out that through hubby's job I can score the Empire pass at $55-. Considering that most parks cost anywhere from $6-$10 for a day admission, 6 trips to any of the parks makes the pass paid for. (Now I just gotta make sure we get out there this summer and USE it). With all that said (still have to account for gas/food/additional activities etc) this trip is starting to look like a $343- long weekend and I will still have the Empire pass to enjoy the rest of the year. I will continue to search for discounts and make more plans for this trip and get back to you on it. I just had to share because my hubby does NOT want to hear about it!!!! He thinks I'm crazy. His respone is JUST plan it and I'll show up! TTFN!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment