Saturday, August 31, 2013

NY State Fair Part II

I thought I had better catch up on part II of my State Fair adventure, before things got away from me, but I wanted to recap yesterdays events too. I was busy all day. I worked from 8-4:30 at Inpatient, (I played volleyball once again, boy do I suck) came home just in time to pull some dinner together before I met up with Tami, Christine, Jenny and Renee for "Walk and Wine." This was Tami's gig. She wants us all to work our way up to running, I don't know about the running part, but we did walk 1.7miles last evening before we broke into the Red Cat. Only a little back pain to report, so I am happy. The reward of wine and friends at the end helped too. It was nice to see Christine, and my hubby was gracious enough to transport all of our etho induced butts home afterwards. (Can you believe I forgot my camera?)
But on with part II of the Fair.-From 1pm-4pm I was stationed at the Vera House booth with two other volunteers. One women left at 2pm as a swing shift and I cannot for the life of me remember her name, but Faye was they other women I worked with. We chit chatted about our lives, while we offered information about the services Vera House provides and pushed while plastic bracelets into patrons hands.  I was told to get rid of as many as we could. Somehow we still had some left over in the end. The boys stayed within the boundaries I gave them, taking a few trips to the milk building and off to play putt putt at one point.
While tending the booth we were able to listen and see on the screen the 60's band The 5th Demention. I had no idea who they were but once they started playing I had heard of some of their songs. Age of Aquarius, and Let the Sunshine were two that I recognized. That was enjoyable. Getting restless, the boys bargained for cash, and I was off walking the many other booths located with in our area. I scored a few more freebee items, and learned about some of the women services provided within the community. I also ran into Dale who is now working at ACR. We took a few moments to catch up and recall past stories. She has married, and is enjoying her new position working at outreach mostly within the jail settings. Soon after the band ceased playing, I had obtained my 2nd or third FREE pen, and listened with some interest about an all women's business/advocacy group that I could totally see myself  getting involved with (that was until I heard about the annual $90- membership fee, and you still had to pay for several of the themed events) my shift ended.
4:15 I was to meet with a staff member from Vera House to drop off the supplies and the rest of the Fair was awaiting.

These amazing characters were walking throughout the main court, so we had to stop and say hello, then we made our way towards the NY State Lottery to meet up with Mark and play some mid-way games. We made a quick stop to see the puppeteer ending his last performance of the day, saddened that we missed it, but thought the puppets were way cool, I took a few shots of my favorites.

 With these two characters I can only imagine what the performance was about.
Once at the NY State Lottery booth, and no Mark yet (we were to meet him at 5 and it was only 4:30) we decided (or should I say I was forced) to play some mid-way games.

Cheep as I can be I honed in on one of those "I Got it "games where each game only costs one quarter. First game I won! Horray, now we can stop playing right? NO. In order to get the Minion stuffed doll you have to win two. Well we did everything to make it happen and no luck. We settled on cashing in and walked away with a $6- (that is how much I spent on games) basketball. I actually felt it was a fair price although one quarter would have been nicer. Since we were right next to the Poultry building we took a quick trip through (stinks like nothing I can describe)  I forced air out my nose, and we were able to enjoy the many thousands of fowls housed in rows upon rows all ready for judging.
I thought this guy was a little different.



And who could resist Easter Egg colored chickens? Wonder if their eggs come out pre-dyed for an Easter feast?
The Poultry building also has, rabbits, hamsters and gennie pigs. (I cant spell them and I don't like them either). This guy was pretty cute however.
Finishing up the "fowl" (smelling) building we returned to the Lottery Building to find my husband and this time he was there. The heat was outrageous, and I was beginning to be done with the whole fair experience. We made some final inventory on MUST's before we started to wind down the day. I must get a baked potato, Mark must have his annual sausage sandwich, and the boys wanted more GAMES. I rustled up a few more bucks for Mark and the boys to make their way down the mid-way and I took off to the Horticulture building for my annual (often voted most favorite and best deals of the fair) $1- potato. I think at one time many years ago we got them for FREE, but it is still a steal for a dollar and they are always yummy.
As I walked towards the building I took notice of a sign reading on sale now "Stories of the NY State Fair" $3-. I decided that I would enjoy that kind of a read, and made my way into the air conditioned NY State Parks building, and purchased one pre signed by the writer. I also scored a free granola type nutrition bar while I was there. I have since read the book completely and although the stories were of interest, I would have liked to have heard other perspectives and maybe some more factual information. Hey it was a $3- find at the Fair, what can you say. Potato Booth here I am... 
I was told to expect long lines, but it wasn't that bad and it went quickly.
I spotted some FOOD Drive art on my way out and thought they were pretty neat. There had to be about five structures in all and every last bag, box and can will be donated to the hungry.
 
 
I made my way through the Horticulture Building piping hot potato in hand and quickly glancing at the array of prize winning flowers/plants surrounded on the outskirts with natural oils, soaps, and some assortments of items such as jewelry and homemade crafts. I seek refuge at the NY State Parks and locate a solo bench for myself to sit an eat my potato. YUM
 
Eating a baked potato can sure make you thirsty, so of course I had to have a Wine Slushie to wash it down.
This is a twist of two wines. I was able to have two FREE tests and my final decision was the combo. Small but good.
Thinking I better reconnect with the boys, I headed back only to wait, and to wait, and wait some more and it was SOOOOOOOOOO HOT. There never seems to be a breeze at the fair ever.
Finally we reconnect, two new prizes added to the collection. Glass edged mirrors won at the balloon pop. Great wins after $50- of playing. Next up and this was about when I was feeling I had had enough. I was hot, tired, feeling broke, and simply just wanted to find a nice place to sit and have some dinner. We got some cheep burgers and drinks. (They actually sell burgers and dogs for only a few bucks at some locations, is it the best burger at the Fair...no, but at least we got some dinner in). I ran off to get Mark his sausage sandwich and waited in a line that took forever feeling overwhelmed with heat. Finally, SCORE. I head back to my group and the boys had obtained two more balloons to suck helium out of...then it was a game of blowing the balloons up and letting them fly. I was so hot and tired I let them enjoy...
All of us, even Mark was ready to go so we headed towards the car, stopping along the way to watch a small performance, or examine a new deep fried item on a menu.
As I looked back at the fair as we were leaving, I noted that we really had not even dented all of the fun things the fair has to offer, and sadly said goodbye. Next year we will take on our favorites and continue to make more memories. Good Bye NY State Fair, until next time.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment