Monday, November 10, 2014

Pumpkin Picking...

Kate's Pumpkin Patch
Baldwinsville, NY
October 19th 2014
My children were not at all interested in pumpkin picking this year, but my neighbor Jen and her twins were ready and willing even on one of the coldest days we had so far this fall...it was supper cold. 
 Kate's pumpkin patch is in Baldwinsville and where I have gone for the last few years to get my pumpkins. $3- pumpkins, a free corn maze and $1- hay rides seems just my style. When my older kids were younger, I was always a big fan of Tim's pumpkin patch (HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!! for little one's) but Tim's is closer to the Tully area and much farther south from where I live now. Kate's works well.
Despite the cold, we took the hay ride..
 the view on the ride....miles and miles of fields and tree's.

 Then we spent some time in the corn maze...we didn't get lost....
 We are all trying to decide if this is Cow corn or human corn....we are thinking it is cow corn.
 I'M not a farmer...and have NO idea. Anyone have an answer???/


Up next was picking our pumpkins. I'm not sure why, but these were some pretty sad specimens to pick from. (Next year I am waiting until Halloween night and spending $1- at Walmart). They were all pretty small, and most were starting to rot. Finding some still with stems was very difficult and most had been attacked by animals/bugs. It was quite discouraging...the girls didn't seem to care...they were off to find the PERFECT pumpkin, and IT was going to be found HERE!!!!

Here's one......




 and another....
this one looks a little GREEN...




 Pumpkin picking is hard work...time to take a break in the back of mom's van..
 Jen's pumpkin stash!!!!!
 I found a few too!

After getting our pumpkins, Jen thought we all needed coffee and doughnuts!!!! We headed to dunkin doughnuts.....


I got the bestest doughnut ever...pumpkin pie...YUMMMMMMM, The girls got pumpkins.....something was wrong with these jack-o-lantern faces however. The baker must have been RUSHED....
We ate our treats next to the Seneca River and caught some interesting birds....
 We could clearly see the gulls, but those black birds are not geese, I thought maybe they were loons or maybe blackbirds.... but that would be unusual...
 I know the picture is not the best, but if anyone has any ideas...
What kind of birds is still in question....Jen and I couldn't figure it out. This guy made an appearance....he was more then welcome to let in on what kind of bird he was,


It was such a nice Sunday afternoon adventure. Now the question becomes...do my pumpkins become Jack-o-lanterns or simply sit and be pumpkins for this Halloween, I really do not feel like carving these guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment