Sunday, March 25, 2018

Just a little Art in Rochester NY, learning my new position at work..

Rochester, NY and Central NY area
March 20th-23th 2018

Nothing makes someone REALLY look at their body more skeptical then when you spend most of your weekend in a bathing suit or on a massage table wearing only underwear....EWE!!!! After my weekend of SINful fun, I promised myself it was time to get back to taking care of my health.



I have since been to the gym everyday. I have exactly 30 days until my next actual vacation and where I am heading will involve more bathing suits...tank tops and shorts...(soon to disclose.)

In between attending the gym, this week I have continued to transition into my new job. As it is not a defined position, I have been (with several of my leaders) learning what my role is.
I started doing trainings, which has been questionably successful. I know what to do, I fully understand the process and the requirements...but I just do not have all the skills to translate that into a teachable presentation.
I am learning that NOT ALL PEOPLE learn like me. I am one of those who has to pretty much jump all the way in and learn by trial an error.  I generally briefly glance at the instructions if ever looking at it at all, and starts sticking wooden pieces from the box together in hopes that it becomes a shelving unit. I often miss a step or a screw along the way, but I always built that shelving unit.
This mind set tends to be what I do with most tasks, including work.
Having this in mind, I have a strong ability to GET it DONE, I am just not positive that I got all the details in order....this is not always the best procedure when I am the one who is now instructing everyone on the process. BUT I am learning. I recognize it will take some time.
With this new task, I have been doing a lot of data entry, stats, and trainings myself.
Yesterday I attending a conference in Rochester NY where I learned about NY state initiatives and found that my new position may just have more then simply training others on the process. It involves getting the money to continue to support the programs....and NY State wants to see some movement. It appears that I will be engaging in more purposeful writing, committees and activities that all sound foreign. Exciting but foreign.
I did find some time to explore while working on my new position...

The conference was held at Rochester University College Art Memorial gallery before the discussion began I enjoyed some of the art that was accessible to the public and not attached to a entrance to the gallery ticket. The building itself was pretty artsy.
 I'm not sure what this women represents but she seems confident in her presentation, even while lacking her clothing. 
 Nor do I know what this piece is suppose to be. It kind of looks like a door....If I had the mindset, I could sit and contemplate my own ideas about what this piece may symbolize. Not enough time...Conference begins soon.
 
After the conference we had a late and LONG lunch at the museum restaurant. The Brown Hound Bistro. I refrain from committing, as I was disappointed in the food and the wait time was nearly 11/2 hours.


Before headed back home I took a stroll through the snowy grounds. I found several structures with a similar theme, after doing a google search, I found that the artist is Tom Otterness. The scenes represent a women creating a man although she finds that there are often things wrong with her creations. 


In the photo below the figures in the foreground are the stone structures that flank the entrance to the park.








The reference to Pygmalion is identified by the artist. I have not read the book, but apparently he character attempts to create the perfect women and kisses her. 





The structures were pretty neat.
It was cool. I would have enjoyed it much more if it was not so cold outside. Winter please please go away. Speaking of ART...Tuesday evening I went to Sandy's for an art class. We made cards.  George had to make a visit. 



The rest of my week was busy. Thursday was class. I hate to admit that I may actually use some of these skills with my new position. I have also been instructed to learn some computer skills. Taking this into consideration I scheduled out time on Friday afternoon to "test out" of the required pre-rec computer courses to enter into the Excel course. I arrived was signed into a computer and left to my own devices. WHAT???? I am guessing I will NOT be testing out of the windows 101 course and advancing directly to Excel. MORE SCHOOLing....Oh man!!!!
Friday night was BUNCO. I won second place. WOW...money in my pocket. Woot Woot!!!!Saturday will be a fun filled day with my girlfriends. TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment