Friday, July 1, 2022

Rochester, NY: A little Susan B Anthony and Fredrick Douglas.

Rochester, NY
March 6, 2022

Well it wasn't long before I was ready for another road trip. This time it was to Rochester, NY. My friend Patty lives there and since COVID, I had not seen her in forever. So, Kelly and I took the trip out to spend some time with her. BUT first, I had to do a little detour in history. I had learned that there were multiple statues of Fredrick Douglas located throughout the city and my goal had been to see them all. (I believe there are 13). However, I did not have a map directing me to each one. 
What I did have, was a roadside sign signaling me to Susan B Anthony's house. Well, I knew it was here, but that hadn't been my goal. However, while we were here, lets take a little look. Surprise right down the street from her home is this little park, with a statue of Susan and her friend and fellow equal rights advocate Fredrick. (1 statue down.)
The statue appropriately named, "Lets Have Tea", portrays the women's right advocate Susan B. Anthony and abolitionist Fredrick Douglas having tea as they discuss big changes in the United States. 
Fredrick looks deep in thought over the comment that Susan has just offered. She perhaps is explaining her plan to vote despite the laws forbidding women to do so. Both Anthony and Douglas have homes here in Rochester, and the two met through their participation in the equal rights community. 
Anthony was a profound and prominent member of the Womens Suffrage movement and has her picture on the quarter as a reminder of her dedication to the cause. She was raised a quaker and her family strongly believed in education. Within her community, women had equal say and rights. Within the "real" world Anthony found this not to be true. Anthony traveled all over the country and the world giving speeches on Women's rights. She did so up to the day she died. She died 16 years before the 19th amendment gave the women the right to vote. Her voice and dedication to the cause changed the rights for women forever. 
Although we did not have time to visit Susan's house today, I know I will be back. 
I'm fascinated with her story and would love to hear more. Fredrick was a runaway slave who through papers, lectures and travel advocated against slavery. In 1847 he became a free man through funds he received while in England. He fought for equal rights through out his life and was involved in the estabishment of the 13th, 14th and 15th amendment. The 13th abolishes slavery, the 14th defines citizenship, and the 15th gives citizens the right to vote regardless of race. 
Fredrick's home is also here in Rochester and one of his statues is located there. We didn't find his home or that statue. We did however, pass the monument of a ballot box in memory of Susan B. Anthony.  In 1872's presidential election Anthony, despite the criminalization of such, cast her vote. She was arrested for this act and sent to trail. Her jury was all men, and she could not speak on her behalf. She was fined $100 (which she never did pay) and by all accounts she had lost. However, her act caused great public outcry among women and served as the catalyst for change.
Both Anthony and Douglass are buried in Mount Hope Cemetery in Rochester as well. Kelly and I attempted to find the grave sites, but we unable. The place is very big and we had limited time. I think I will have to come back and try this again sometime soon. 
We made our way to Patty's house after our failed attempt to find the graves and spent a wonderful afternoon with friends. I unfortunately failed to take any pictures of the fun we had, but we had a nice dinner out and great conversation. Until next time. TTFN




 

No comments:

Post a Comment