Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Fishing in the 1,000 Islands

Thousand Islands Fishing trip
September 14-15th 2022

Again I was blessed to be a part of the Tulip Travel group and this trip took us North to the Thousand Islands and fishing. I have not been fishing in years, and I really don't have the patience to be a good fishermen. The only time I have ever caught anything was when I was about 5 years old using my cousins kid fishing pole in the well stocked pond across from his home. I did a fishing trip when I was in my 20s along a river in the Sandy Pond area of NY, but I just thought the whole thing was a waste of time. I don't eat fish either, so...there's that. But, as much as I enjoy these trips with Tulip, they really are not my vacations, I'm there as a chaperone and assistant. No judgement on the trips they take, I just know I can't catch anything. Im leaving this all up to the guys with crossed fingers. 
 (View over looking the St. Lawrence River )

DAY1: After leaving the office in Central NY we made our way up to the Thousand Islands for our three day vacation. The cabins are adorable, and more like a house then a cabin. We each had our own room with a TV and privacy. We needed three "cabins" to accomadate all of us. Two houses are primary for sleep and one of the larger is where we have meals and gather. A group of 6 went out on the boat moments after we arrived while the rest of us went to the cabins to organize and start dinner. 

The guys got back from the first run, I do recall they caught a few, but we were also told that the water was a little choppy. I guess that impacts the fishing.

DAY 2: I was on the next boat out. We were expected to be on the dock at 7am. And it was COLD. Summer ended so quickly. 

Tom, our fishing guide and boat driver, took up out along the River. 
I just love all these small waterside towns. Clayton NY is just up a ways from where we departed from and we actually past the area on our trip. I love that area. Summers along the River here has been an area visited often by my friends and family over the years. I have a friend who has a camp on the lake just  outside Alexander Bay. Its lovely. 
Tom uses a device to help him locate where there might be fish. He would stop in an area, bait and drop lines for all the guys and we would sit. 

and then he would say, ok pull  up the lines, were moving.  And we would move.

 


I just sat on an old cooler and watch the world go by. Then again he would cast out all for all of the guys that couldn't do it themselves, and we would wait. We had a few possibilities, but nothing that was holding. He would say, okay, pull em up. and we were off again. 
Some of the homes/cabins along the river are beautiful and expensive. 

He would stop again, they guys would get re baited if they had lost the little fish and drop again. We finally had one.  He wasn't much..so he was thrown back in. And the poles would be lifted and again we were off.  We spent most of the trip like that. I got a chance to try.  We were all getting pretty hopeless So I really really wanted to catch something. I would feel a pull, he would claim it was the weight bouncing along the bottom....then I did get one...or so I thought, it was only sea weed salad. 
Another one that was caught, but he too was to small, thrown back in. 
I was determined to get a fish worth keeping, but our fishing slot was coming to an end. No fish to fry from our boat. 
We headed back in and another group went out. I went back to the cabin, we borrowed games from the rental lodge and spent the afternoon enjoying boardgames. The 2nd fishing group came back. They did have a little more success, but not a ton. At least there was some fish for the guys to bring back home. We had dinner and relaxed for the evening. 
DAY 3: Our last day, a group went out early in the morning, while the rest of us cleaned up and packed for our ride back home. This group also got a few fish and they were all packed up for the guys to take home. I loved that each of them got a certificate for their participation. Some were titled Most fish caught, Biggest Fish caught, Most determined fishermen. etc. They guys really loved this and everyone who was interested in taking some fish home were allowed. I declined, and I don't think I would go on a fishing vacation of my own, maybe if it was ocean fishing on a really cool boat, but I was excited to see these guys enjoy themselves. Its a popular trip, and always booked up every year, I anticiapate being invited to chaperone next year, Ill get a fish next time for sure. (I don't btw). TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment